I wanted to try and make something sweet with one of my favorite fruits, the jack fruit. I started with an idea of a bread pudding but something wrong happened and I ended up with a mousse instead. A pretty tasty accident in the end.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 6 to 8 seeds of jackfruit
- 300ml of coconut milk or cream
- 1 cup of fresh milk
- Palm Sugar (preferred) or normal sugar
- Nutmeg powder
- Cinnamon powder
- 4 sticks of lemongrass
- 1 handful of kaffir lime or lemon leaves
- ½ a kaffir lime
Getting it Done!
- Half each seed of jackfruit and remove the seeds. There is an additional layer of membrane where the seed is, remove that as well
- Roughly slice the jackfruit and set aside
- In a heavy bottom pan and over low heat, add the coconut milk and the fresh milk
- Stir well and bring the mixture to a simmer
- Break the lemongrass with a twisting motion and add to the mixture with the kaffir lime leaves
- Let it simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and remove the lemon grass and leaves
- Add the jackfruit, 4 tablespoons of sugar and a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the jackfruit is soft
- Squeeze half a lime and stir
- Taste and adjust accordingly, it needs to be a bit sweeter than your usual levels since the mixture will be frozen.
- Let it cool and blend it until the mixture is smooth
- Place in a ramakin and put it into a freezer until mixture sets (should take at least 1 hour)