Tired of potato crisps? Wish you could indulge in a guilty pleasure without worrying about your heart or waistline? Introducing my vegetable and root crisps. You can do this with the stem of most vegetables and most root vegetables. Quick, easy and nutritious to boot! Take some time to dress it up and impress anyone!
- Lotus Root
- Sweet Potato
- Corn Flour
Getting it Done!
- Use a peeler to remove the skin from the root vegetables and set aside
- Remove the stem from the broccoli and set aside. You can use the head for loads of other dishes
- Use a mandolin, set to the thickest setting, slice all the vegetables and set aside
- In a large bowl, put a generous amount of flour, a few pinches of salt and black pepper. Stir well
- Generously coat the slices with the flour and set aside
- Over a medium heat, in a heavy bottom pot, add 4 to 5cm depth of peanut or vegetable oil and bring to 180 Celsius. (Or when bubbles emerge rapidly from a wooden chopstick)
- In every batch, cook the same type of vegetable slices so that all will cook at the same time
- When cooking, add the slices one at a time so that they don’t stick together
- Stir constantly and remove when it starts to brown. It becomes dark brown pretty fast so keep your eye on it!
- Remove the slices, set aside on a double layer of kitchen towel to drain the excess oil.
- Remove, set aside on a drying rack and salt. Do not leave the slices sitting on the kitchen towel, it’ll get soggy.