Scallops are one of my favorite ingredients to cook with and to put in my mouth. There’s just something about the natural sweetness of the meat and saltiness from the sea. This recipe combines Japanese and American elements.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 16 Scallops medallions
- 1 red apple
- 2 strips of bacon (either back or streaky will do)
- Miso paste
- Dijon Mustard
- Orange Juice
- Lemon Juice
Getting it done! (Apple Matchsticks)
Prepare this before you start on the scallops. See my post on the apple matchsticks.
Getting it done! (Crispy Bacon Bits)
Prepare this before you start on the scallops. See my post on Crispy Bacon Bits.
Getting it done! (Citrus Miso Mustard Sauce)
Prepare this before you start on the scallops. See my post on the sauce.
Getting it done! (Scallops )
- Make sure that the scallops are dry by using a paper kitchen towel
- Season with salt and black pepper on both sides and set aside
- Over a medium heat, add a generous knob of butter and some olive oil in a heavy bottom pan
- (mixing some oil with butter makes sure that the butter does not burn so quickly)
- When the butter has fully melted and stops bubbling, this means the water content has mostly evaporated off
- Add the scallops to the pan, make sure that there is some space in between each scallop so that there is enough heat to brown the scallops
- Cook each side for about 2 minutes, do not turn too many times
- You’ll know the scallops are done when you see some vertical ‘cracks’ on the sides
- It should be nicely brown on each side
Assemble the elements and its Done!